The Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures and the WSU Japanese Language program extend a congratulations to the winners of the Heart of America Japan-America Society’s annual Japanese Language Contest. The contest was held on March 4 at Johnson County Community College. They are proud of the hard work that all the contestants put into the contest this year to represent Wichita State.
Students competed in several categories including poetry writing in both English and Japanese, karuta card games, online grammar and culture quizzes, calligraphy, 4-panel manga creation, and a speech presentation contest.
This year’s winners from Wichita State:
- Cameron Gillespie: First in speech presentation, second in Japanese-language tanka poem.
- Alyssa Moen: First in Japanese culture quiz, second in N5 karuta card game.
- Wren Johnson: Second in speech presentation.
- Quyen Tran: Honorable mention for calligraphy.
- Lilith Tackett: Honorable mention for English-language tanka poem.