Holidays for state of Kansas employees are designated on an annual basis by the governor and the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) for eligible employees.
The following dates have been designated as paid holidays for all departments of Wichita State for the 2023 calendar year. This information is also available online at any time.
- Discretionary day*
- New Year’s Day (observed) – Monday, Jan. 2, 2023
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, Jan. 16, 2023
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 29, 2023
- Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4, 2023
- Labor Day – Monday, Sept. 4
- Veterans Day – Friday, Nov. 10 (classes are in session on this day)
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, Nov. 23 and Friday, Nov. 24
- Christmas Day – Monday, Dec. 25
*The discretionary day must be used during the payroll calendar year. For 2023, it must be utilized between Dec. 25, 2022-Dec. 23, 2023. This paid leave benefit is used for observance of a holiday, family event or other special day. Employees who work a Monday through Friday schedule should plan to use their discretionary day on or before Friday, Dec. 22, 2023.
Employees will not be paid for the discretionary day in lieu of taking the time off, and the banked hours expire at the end of each payroll year. Employees will use standard leave request procedures to seek leader approval in advance of taking the discretionary day.