Based on current COVID-19 trends, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services let the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Declaration expire at the end of the day May 11, 2023.
While COVID-19 is not gone, public health conditions have improved to a point where COVID is effectively being self-managed. Federal and state government funded healthcare for COVID-19 will end.
What does this mean at Wichita State University?
Beginning May 12, Student Health Services (SHS) will no longer support free COVID-19 walk-in testing or vaccinations for the WSU community. While on-campus COVID-19 services will still be available, patients may become financially responsible for COVID-19 testing and vaccinations that were previously fully covered by federal/state funding during the public health emergency.
How does COVID-19 testing change at WSU?
- Asymptomatic walk-in testing for COVID-19 will no longer be provided at SHS.
- Symptomatic, by appointment testing for COVID-19 may be provided by WSU Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory (MDL) while CARES funding and supplies last. While this option is still in effect, COVID testing can still be obtained at no additional charge through Student Health, by appointment only.
- Symptomatic testing for COVID-19 requires an illness appointment with the SHS providers.
- WSU students will continue to have the same access to appointments at Student Health Services and can use their personal health insurance benefits or pay for services by other means. Uninsured students will have access to lower cost services.
- WSU faculty and staff will have access to appointments through the new Student Health Services Faculty/Staff Acute Care Clinic. Appointment eligibility and payment information are available. WSU faculty and staff will be financially responsible for services provided.
- COVID-19 testing remains available at the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory (MDL), 4174 S. Oliver, building 174H, for all students, faculty, staff and the general public at no additional charge.
How do COVID-19 vaccinations change at WSU?
- Student Health Services will continue to provide COVID-19 vaccinations for a fee when supplies are available.
- Find COVID vaccination sites near you