The ChaMP lab at Wichita State University invites undergraduate students to apply for a summer research assistantship (RA) position. The RA will provide support for an NSF-funded research project on the Future of Work in industrial settings. This project will involve assessing the current state of industrial technologies and evaluating the efficacy of a developed intervention. In general, RAs can expect to perform the following activities:
- Reading peer-reviewed research articles relevant to the research topics
- Writing annotated bibliographies of research articles
- Designing evaluation surveys
- Conducting assessments and/or interviews with workers employed by industry partners.
- Meeting with the project leads
- Learning to use lab-related software (e.g., Qualtrics, Unity)
- Assisting with statistical analysis
- Participating in public outreach/science communication activities
- Attending weekly lab meetings
Consequently, it is important for research assistants to have the following skill sets:
- Be self-motivated and capable of making progress on tasks independently and without supervision.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Be capable of finding relevant, peer-reviewed research articles using search engines (e.g., PsycINFO; Google Scholar).
- Have strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Word.
Successful applicants will be able to work in the lab for five-hour blocks of time, a total of at least 20 hours per week during regular work hours from May 23 to Aug. 12. This provides the best opportunity and the most flexibility for research project involvement. An applicant’s inability to work in blocks of at least five hours will not automatically disqualify them but will significantly reduce their chances of success during the interview process. Research assistants will be compensated $12 per hour.
Interested students should email a letter of interest, resume, and a copy of their summer 2022 schedule to Dr. Lisa Vangsness (email@example.com) by April 30. To the greatest extent possible, please provide your availability based on course enrollments, ongoing employment, volunteer, and external commitments.